For Everyone

I want this blog to be movie reviews, but since I am broke college student, and can't go and spend money on a new release twice a week I am expanding these reviews to review a plethora of movies. Too many people don't watch a variety of movies. There is so much more out there than the average Hollywood blockbuster, even bad movies are better then big budget flicks only out there for the money. So I will explore the understated movies: classics, foreign films, notoriously bad movies that tried, and others, for those of you who want to expand your movie watching range. And I will try to make these posts not sound too pretentious and film snobby, because I don't know enough to justify being a know it all.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Due Date

     I love movies that catch me off guard. There I was laughing one minute in Due Date, and the next I am feeling so sorry for Zack Galifinakis's character that I am internally yelling at Robert Downey Jr. to go give him a hug. A lot of people dislike when comedies take a turn for the dramatic, but I think it is something to be applauded, because it is crazy hard to make those transitions in a movie without it crashing and burning. However, do not fret movie patrons, this movie has far more laughs then sadness, so all of you Zack Galifinakis fans who went to see It's Kind Of A Funny Story and were sorely disappointed with the lack of penis jokes, there are plenty in Due Date.
     You should all know what Due Date is about from the trailers, but just in case here is the trailer. The second movie by director Todd Phillips of The Hangover is very much like it's predecessor, but I feel it is it's ugly cousin in comparison. Maybe ugly is harsh, perhaps slightly less attractive cousin is more like it. The Hangover had an outrageous and impossible plot, but somehow it all worked together very nicely. In Due Date there are many plot holes, and parts that just leave you confused. I read the original script for The Hangover, because I am strange, and it was insanely different, and didn't make as much sense as the end result did, and I feel like Due Date needed one more draft for it to be up to par with The Hangover.
     But enough comparison. On it's own this movie is good I think. You can't be expecting Annie Hall a director who made a movie called The Hangover, but you can expect to laugh, and that you will. Robert Downey Jr. and Zack Galifinakis are two very great actors and I loved just watching them act. Take some time in the movie to just look at Robert Downey Jr. and his facial expressions, they are small but powerful. Then there is Galifinakis who I think steals the show with his outlandish antics, but still poignant greif. I hope I get the pleasure of working with them some day as a director because they are truly talented.
     All in all this movie is funny, and if you want some good inappropriate humor, then spend your money watching this. I give Due Date a B.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this movie Saturday- and I loved it! For the most part it was really funny...it was kind of like The Hangover with a twist. There were a few sad parts, which I wasn't a fan of too much, but, overall I think the movie was a success. Zach Galifinakis is hilarious purely based on the face that he is SO weird! And Robert Downey Jr., I'm used to seeing him play all types of roles (less serious; Tropic Thunder, and more serious; Iron Man) but they both acted very well in the movie. I feel like the movie went a little overboard on some of the "penis jokes", though, but I guess that's just my own taste. Overall, a good, laughable movie. I agree with your "B" rating!

    ReplyDelete