For Everyone

I want this blog to be movie reviews, but since I am broke college student, and can't go and spend money on a new release twice a week I am expanding these reviews to review a plethora of movies. Too many people don't watch a variety of movies. There is so much more out there than the average Hollywood blockbuster, even bad movies are better then big budget flicks only out there for the money. So I will explore the understated movies: classics, foreign films, notoriously bad movies that tried, and others, for those of you who want to expand your movie watching range. And I will try to make these posts not sound too pretentious and film snobby, because I don't know enough to justify being a know it all.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

     I do not remember a lot about this book thanks to my selective memory thinking Harry Potter was less important than my sophomore year of high school, which I wish I could forget. The point is, since I did not remember much of the book; for all I knew the director was keeping a vast amount of the book correct since he decided to make it two parts. However all I heard after the movie were the annoying people telling each other how much they changed and/or left out. All in all though I am glad I do not remember it because it really makes you biased against the movie in your review if the movie left out 90 percent of Tom Riddle's past, which was your favorite part (I'm looking at you Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.)
     I digress. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 was a well made movie. It was very dark, which I appreciated because I think that is how it should be, not all goody gum drops and smiles, because after all Voldemort is running things now, and you can't expect it to be a pretty world anymore. In all of the Harry Potter movies they have had some nice color correction throughout the movie. Basically the way that the movie looks very dark and cold is beautiful editing on the editors part, because in reality it does not look like that.
     The acting is the same as always, good, but nothing too impressive. Maybe it is because these people have played their characters so long that I now believe that they are Harry, Hermione and Ron, in which case maybe that is great acting since I no longer have to suspend my disbelief and now just believe.
     My biggest complaint with this movie runs true with all the other Harry Potter movies directed by David Yates, and that is his excessive use of steady cam and jump cuts. I hate hate hate them. He is trying to look like a cool hipster and have the kids relate and think he is the best, but really I think it looks lame and trying too hard. Harry Potter needs to be just simply made and pretty, no shaky steady cam for no apparent reason to make it look gritty and real. It is a fantasy, not a documentary David Yates.
     Overall I liked Harry Potter though. I was thoroughly entertained throughout and I am eagerly anticipating the next one, and I hate them for making me wait until next summer, because I might just kill someone. The ending was perfect by the way. *spoiler alert* When Voldemort gets the elder wand and just shoots up evilness into the air, because he now has the strongest wand ever, that was kick ass. A perfect ending. I give Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 a B+.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, Harry Potter was an amazing movie. I'm on the same ground as you, I read the book, but I completely forgot all about it it. However, The Deathly Hallows was the ONLY book that I've ever read from the Harry Potter Series. Despite this, I still enjoyed the book very much, though I was left out a lot. But man oh man, was it a great book (from what I remember).

    Anyway, enough of the book.
    I have to agree with you on mostly everything in your post. Which might defeat the purpose of this comment entirely.

    As for the ending, I enjoyed it as well.
    SPOILER ALERT:

    After Dobby died, I had the feeling that the movie would end. As soon as Voldemort broke into Dumbledore's grave, I whispered over to my girlfriend and simply said, “This is the end, just watch.”

    As soon as I knew it, Voldemort took the wand, pointed it to the sky, flash, dip to white, cut to black.

    SPOILER END.

    Amazing ending, need I say more? It ends on an extremely dark note. But aside from that, very well done. I can't wait to see how the second movie will be.

    ReplyDelete