For Everyone

I want this blog to be movie reviews, but since I am broke college student, and can't go and spend money on a new release twice a week I am expanding these reviews to review a plethora of movies. Too many people don't watch a variety of movies. There is so much more out there than the average Hollywood blockbuster, even bad movies are better then big budget flicks only out there for the money. So I will explore the understated movies: classics, foreign films, notoriously bad movies that tried, and others, for those of you who want to expand your movie watching range. And I will try to make these posts not sound too pretentious and film snobby, because I don't know enough to justify being a know it all.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hereafter

     Once again I will state how much I absolutely love Clint Eastwood. He inspires me so much, and I realized last night when watching this movie yet another reason I love his style. Last night I saw Harry Potter, and then right after to see Hereafter. I realized in comparison to Harry Potter's trying too hard cinematogaphy and shots, Hereafter was so simple. Then I remember how when I make a movie, I love simple shots. Quick and easy, and still looking great. Clint Eastwood is known for being a one take director; he knows what he wants and gets great actors to do it the way he wants. It's a very Hitchockian way of filming. Anyways it is so simple, he just tells a great story and makes it look like you are just watching; which I think is the best way to make a movie.
     I probably should explain what Hereafter is about. First we meet Marie LeLay (Cécile De France,) a French woman on vacation in Thailand. She is there when the huge Tsunami hit that killed devastated the area, and she has a near death experience. She sees something while nearly dead, a hereafter, as she later describes it. Then we meet George Lonegan (Matt Damon,) who is a middle aged blue collar man living in San Francisco, but he is also a retired psychic who can speak to the dead. We see his struggle with his "gift" that he thinks is a curse and how it makes him live a lonely life. Lastly we meet Jason and Marcus (Frankie McLaren, and George McLaren,) who are two twin brothers. Jason is the talkative one and Marcus the shy one. Jason ends up being killed which leaves Marcus alone and lost. The whole movie follows all their journey's dealing with mortality, and the question of is there life after death.
     I think one of the genius parts of this movie is that it doesn't try to answer the question of is there life after death. Even George Lonegan tells Marcus that he still has no clue about an afterlife; even after all his readings. What it does is leave you thinking about it, whether you came in believing or not. What this movie does do is tell a great story. Simply made and glorious. I give Hereafter an A, and not an A+ only because the little boys were sub par acting wise in comparison to Matt Damon and Ceclie De France, but maybe that is just me being an elitist, they are only about ten or eleven.

No comments:

Post a Comment