For Everyone

I want this blog to be movie reviews, but since I am broke college student, and can't go and spend money on a new release twice a week I am expanding these reviews to review a plethora of movies. Too many people don't watch a variety of movies. There is so much more out there than the average Hollywood blockbuster, even bad movies are better then big budget flicks only out there for the money. So I will explore the understated movies: classics, foreign films, notoriously bad movies that tried, and others, for those of you who want to expand your movie watching range. And I will try to make these posts not sound too pretentious and film snobby, because I don't know enough to justify being a know it all.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Matrix

     I know what you are thinking; how can it be that you, Viki Lopez film major and lover of all things movies, have not seen The Matrix? Truthfully I never really watched it because I thought it was a whole bunch of hype over a lame action movie. Boy was I wrong.
     I don't even know where to begin. We shall start with my favorite character, Agent Smith played by Hugo Weaving. He totally scared me the whole way through. Not in a Freddy Kouger kind of way, but in the way of a stern teacher chastising you for cheating on an exam. Maybe that was a bad metaphor, but basically when this movie was over I was convinced that Agent Smith should be high up on the AFI Top 100 villians list. He wasn't which devastated me to the extent that I want to hack Wikipedia and change it, if not momentarily. Weaving did a great job being so cold and slowly robotic, and I think that is what made him so scary. I can't say much about the other acting roles, because there is not much to say. They aren't bad, but the aren't spectacular they just are. I have heard once that all Keanu Reeves can play well is confused and that is why everyone likes him in the Matrix, because he is perpetually confused, and I agree with that.
     What drives the Matrix is definitely the action and the story. The action is really cool, even when now ten years later all kinds of movie have copied the "new" types of stunts they had when it originally came out. I think though that I was still so enthralled in the action because I really cared about the characters and the plot progressing to a happy ending, because I like happy endings. The story plays to all kinds of archetypes and motifs that I think attribute to why it resonates so well with people. There are so many more layers to The Matrix and I am just barely scraping the surface, but I can not go into too much details without a) doing more research or b)writing about 2,000 words, which no one wants to read, so I shall contain myself and just say that I give The Matrix and A+.

2 comments:

  1. “Welcome to the Matrix.” I love that line~! I use it every now and then when someone gets a sudden revelation about the world. I remember watching “The Matrix” for the first time, and I was utterly confused with it. But I was, and still am, impressed with the stellar effects that this movie created. The story doesn’t throw me in a loop anymore, and I find it really unique. Hugo Weaving did do a great job playing the antagonist, Mr. Smith, with his infamous line of, “Mr. Anderson,” and I totally understand what you mean with him “scaring” you. In any case, the Matrix is a great movie and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Viki, I'm so glad that you've finally seen this movie, it's about time. I remember trying to convince you to see it, then you saw scenes from it in art class and were extremely confused, so you decided to go see it, finally.

    Out of the trilogy, this would have to be the best movie of the three. There are so many reasons as to why this is the best movie, I'll name a few:

    Special Effects
    Action
    Themes

    The themes in this movie have deep roots, technological takeover, as well as reality.
    Technology, or artificial intelligence has grown smart enough to take over the world and destroy the humans.
    Reality, the movie discusses how what we perceive may not be completely true. “What is reality?”

    These two are the most important themes to me in this film. You don't have to be a film freak to understand this movie though. The action and special effects are good enough as is.

    ReplyDelete